The Harker Pottery Co., of East Liverpool, Ohio and later Chester, West Virginia, is commonly called the, "Oldest Pottery in America." It started
in a log cabin in 1840 by Benjamin Harker, and remained on its original site for ninety-one years. In 1931 the plant moved across the river to Chester and took over
the old Edwin M. Knowles plant.
Accroding to the Collector's Encyclopedia of American Dinnerware by Jo Cunningham, "The Jeanette Glass Company bought Harker and closed it down in March of 1972. Another company, Ohio Stoneware, Inc.,
made crock-pot liners in the building until it was totally destroyed by a fire in September of 1975."