The New Cumberland Locks and Dam was constructed from 1955 to 1961, with the locks opening for traffic in November 1959.
Originally, it was to have been built in New Cumberland which is roughly two miles south. However, it was built along the Ohio
town of Stratton, but the New Cumberland name stuck.
Also in this area is the W. H. Sammis Power Plant which was originally part of Ohio Edison and today is operated by FirstEnergy.
Route 7 passes through a tunnel in the power plant.
The first three photos below show the plant and the dam at various stages with the last two photos being taken in 2011.